16 December, 2010

New Baby Chicks

When she was only about 6months old, my Frizzle cross Barnvelder bantam went seriously broody. I thought she might be too young to see the task through to the end, but she proved me wrong. After I had watched her carefully for over a week and tested her with a couple of golf balls, she remained committed and was not coming off her nest, so I rewarded her - by buying 8 fertilised eggs and setting them underneath her. For those who may not know, we aren't allowed to keep a rooster in our suburb, so none of our eggs are fertilised ones. At times I worried Pippin would weaken too much because she left her nest for barely half an hour per day to stretch, eat and drink. However early on day 22 we discovered her chickies had started hatching, which was so exciting!





24hours later when she finally left the nest, 5 of the 8 eggs had hatched. We removed the other 3 and changed her nesting box, gave them fresh water and chick starter then left them to bond. Being curious about the three unhatched eggs, we performed an autopsy of sorts.

Unsettlingly, the one most formed was breathing when I cracked the shell, even the little feet moved and the beak opened and closed. Sarah and Daniel wanted me to euthanise it ("be kinder Mum, whack it's head" they pleaded) ... but I just couldn't do it. We all called Tony (who hadn't wanted to be involved in this operation) he came halfway over, took a quick glimpse and quickly scurried back inside. Fortunately for us all, it was only a minute or so that it lived. I was later relieved to learn that helping this one break out of the shell would not have helped it survive, unless we took the unnatural approach and incubated it. If they are too weak to hatch themselves, they are too weak to survive, and will die anyway. Sad, but true.

But now for some happier news and photos! Here they are having one of their first meals



and their first journey outside their nesting home to their mini coop. Come on, this is the way ... you can do it






and out in the big run while my older hens were locked inside their henhouse for about 20 mins. The have lost the little chickie cuteness, and look a bit straggly now that their baby down is making way for their real feathers



this is not a great photo, but it clearly shows the gold laced Wyandotte feathers coming in



and here are most of my older hens. My Rhode Island Reds, Australorps and the Silkie bantam


So, tomorrow the chickens are either 5 or 6 weeks old. I can't remember and my diary is not with me at the moment. I have 2 gold laced wyandottes, 2 sussex and the other black one is a mystery..cause I can't quite remember what the fertilised egg man said! I don't mind, because I'm overjoyed about the Wyandottes and Sussex making it - they were top of my list breeds when I bought the eggs. Pippin has proved to be a fantastic first time mama hen! She sat on those eggs till they hatched and ever since she has not relaxed in teaching and protecting her chickies. One of them escaped out the door into the big run last week while Sarah was cleaning and watering their home. She panicked and I heard her call out to Daniel, but by the time he got there, the situation was over. Sarah said mamma hen Pippin immediately spread out her wings, made some noises ... and that little escapee chickie came running straight back into the fold! Wow! Now, all we have to hope is that they are all hens! Oh, please please be hens!!

4 comments:

Catherine (Alecat Music) said...

Oh Debbie, they're so cute!!!!

Thank you for stopping by my blog and saying 'hi'. I hope your leg is healing up well.

Mariposa was asking after Sarah today, so please pass on a hearty 'hello' to all the family. :)

Debbie said...

Thanks alecat. I enjoyed visiting your blog, it was a good read, as usual. And your baby chicks are also cute! My leg is healing faster than last time, and I have less pain too, praise God! All the best to you and your family xo

Sarah said...

They are cute aren't they?
Although you forgot to mention that Pippin is my hen, and about the chicky names -
* 1 wyandotte is my chick, named Mishka,
* one sussex is named Houdini (that is the one that keeps escaping),
* the other sussex is named Judik (Armenian for Baby Chick, named by Jodie),
* the "mystery" chick is Daniel's - named Inky,
* Lastly, the other Wyandotte is still un-named, you are to think of a name. :)

Sarah. :))

Debbie said...

Well, I do believe I've been educated! Thankyou Sarah xo :)