07 February, 2009

History lessons

Over the next 2 year period we will be having a strong history based focus in our homeschool.

I have chosen The Mystery of History by Linda Hobar as our primary textbook,
http://www.themysteryofhistory.com/
though of course this will be supplemented with many other resources. The Mystery of History is a classical, chronological and complete curriculum written for students in Years 4 to 8. While Bible-centred, it provides an historically accurate approach to learning ancient history. One of the things I like about it, is the way light is shed, not only on who walked the Earth when, but how it also illuminates where important Bibles people fit into secular history. For example, the children will learn that Joshua lived in the same century as Tutankahem; that Ruth lived about the same time as Helen of Troy; and Jonah lived just about when the 1st Olympics were taking place in Greece.

I agree with the author, in that I also am not a stickler for the memorisation of sketchy facts and dates; however, I do desire that by the end of this first rotation of Ancient History, my children will have a good grasp of time periods, and remember some of the key events and people of those times.

The plan is as follows:-

• Semester 1 2009 - Ancient Egypt
• Semester 2 2009 - Ancient Greece
• Semester 1 2010 - Ancient Rome
• Semester 2 2010 - The Middle Ages

One exciting aspect of these studies is that Daniel will be constructing a giant-sized timeline onto which he will place character figures in the appropriate places. This will surely help to consolidate learning and is an excellent tool for seeing the chronological order of events. Sarah will be creating her own BOOK OF CENTURIES, which is a notebook recording facts, narrations, maps and sketches of historical events.

I am really looking forward to learning more of history along with the children. Whilst Tony is very keen on the subject (and has a lot of knowledge), unfortunately I had no interest in history when I was younger. However, just a little research, and searching for resources has been enough to positively pique my curiousity! I hope the subject and events of our world do the same in my children's mind, and they truly engage in our history lessons.

3 comments:

Catherine (Alecat Music) said...

That sounds really fascinating, Debbie! I'm sorry I didn't get time to look through that book (and many others) whilst visiting you.
I especially like how it will draw in biblical contemporaries. That's something I don't think Story of the World does.
I look forward to hearing more about what you're learning (ALL of you - wink!).

Catherine (Alecat Music) said...

I have a reward I'd like to share with you over on my blog. Can you come by for a visit and pick it up? :)

Debbie said...

Ooooh Alecat, what's this? I'm going straight over!