31 October, 2007

The Importance of Creativity

I just watched a little video of a speech given by Sir Ken Robinson over at Ted's place. ( I'll have to work out how to make the links stay in the post). Anyway, he is described as a 'visionary cultural leader' and led a British Government advisory committee into education back in 1998. He is 'championing a radical rethink of our school systems to cultivate creativity and acknowledge multiple types of intelligence' and he was knighted in 2003 for his achievements.
He argues that we 'don't get the best out of people because we've educated them to become good workers, rather than creative thinkers' . Are our children growing up in a conformist way? He notes that children are all too often not prepared to be wrong..and because of this they wont be able to come up with anything original.

One of his comments that struck me was that a child starting school this year would be retiring from the workforce in 2065! Given the pace of society and the leap in technology seemingly everyday, I am wondering how can we even imagine what sort of world 2065 will be? How can we educate and prepare our children for that? Sir Ken Robinson's conviction is that 'Creativity is as important as literacy'.

His comments are certainly thought provoking and as a Christian, I am reminded that I need to continue to seek the Lord's guidance as to the way I raise and teach my children. I'm mindful that God has entrusted them to my care, and He has a purpose for their lives. I will continue to pray for His wisdom to lead me so that I can do my part in them being able to grow into responsible, compassionate, and confident people in our world. May He bless them and make the sun shine upon them every day of their lives!

0 comments: